Thursday, December 20, 2007

A holiday meltdown

I'm on a short countdown for the family's Christmas Eve party that hubby and I are hosting this year. The number of people attending has shot up and down like an old-time applause meter, so that I no longer have any idea of how many dozens of buns I need to get, or how many bingo prizes should be wrapped and ready to go. 

We have lost running water to our house twice since Sunday, and the last gift that was supposed to be coming this week for our youngest granddaughter is now not going to be shipped until January, necessitating a last-minute replacement! Oh, and I haven't wrapped one present or put up the Christmas tree yet. And I think I am coming down with a cold. Atchoo! 

My husband, sensing my imminent meltdown, came home from work tonight and tossed a bag of Dove dark chocolate on the counter saying, “I thought you might need this.”

Heck yeah, I need it, along with a Valium chaser. I have this vision of people pulling up to a darkened house on Christmas Eve with a sign on the door reading, “The hostess and party have gone the way of the Dodo.” 

All right, now that the public foot stamping is out of the way I have a couple of miscellaneous items to share with you. 

38TH EDITION OF THE CARNIVAL OF GENEALOGY 

 First, the 38th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is up and posted at Jasia's Creative Gene Web site. (I confess I cheated and was avidly reading most of the postings as they went up on each person's Web site.) The subject was New Year's Eve 1999. Of the 14 genealogy bloggers who submitted entries, only one turns out to be a true partier, which was our hostess, Jasia. I may have had the worst New Year's Eve night, but Bill West's (West in New England) post tells of a pretty lousy year. Then there's Terry Thornton's (Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi) remembrance of Y2K. Apparently, his concern over the millennium bug translated into a case of Spam among other things. 

For some enjoyable reading go to Creative Gene, and find the links to all 14 posts. BTW, what were YOU doing New Year's Eve 1999? 


A CHOIR OF GENEAANGELS 

Check this out. The Footnote Maven has made a collage of her genealogy blogging colleagues in the guise of angels and posted it online. Being singularly uncreative myself, I am in awe of her finished product. I feel definitely privileged, if not a bit miscast, to be included as one of her angels. Thanks Footnote Maven! 

And finally, since this will be my last posting before Christmas, I wanted to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas. May you and yours have the happiest of holidays. 

Until Next Time — Happy Ancestral Digging! 

Note this post first published online, December 20, 2007 at Desktop Genealogist Blog at The News-Messenger Online http://www.thenews-messenger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=BLOGS02

© 20 December 2007, Desktop Genealogist Unplugged, Teresa L. Snyder

No comments:


Terry

Terry

Labels