Monday, August 18, 2008

A Gift from an Internet Cousin

I work out of my home office. The arrangement has it perks, one of which is having my own honest to goodness window. Having worked for fifteen years in a building that had no windows, this is a very big deal. My view overlooks my front yard. From there I can see some of my trees, my flowerbed, and most importantly, I can see my mailbox. 

Last week, the mailbox and the glorious mailman who delivers my mail, were the focus of my attention. My Internet cousin, Dee, whom I have written about previously, had told me she was sending me “some” photographs. I could hardly contain myself. Dee thought they would get here sometime midweek. I figured Friday. They arrived on Saturday. 

When they finally arrived, I barely managed to make it indoors before I ripped open the package. Inside the envelope were fifty-two pictures. Pictures that Dee had taken to her local Walgreens, copied, and then had taken the time to label EACH ONE. I can’t imagine how long a process this was, but oh my, what a wonderful treasure Dee has sent me.

Among the pictures is one of my ggg grandfather Daniel Lynch’s brother, William Lynch. There is a picture of William’s son John, a mighty handsome man judging by his photograph which was taken sometime before his death in 1885. Though John lived his entire life in Illinois, he managed to marry a Seneca County, Ohio lass, Rebecca Feasel. 

Rebecca is also related to me through my Feasel line. (My relationship calculator tells me that Rebecca and I are first cousins four times removed which happens to be my relationship to her husband, John, though through a different line.)

Frank Armstrong, who was a double cousin of my great grandmother, Laura Jane Feasel Lynch was also among the pictures that Dee sent. A very stern picture of my great great grandmother, Catherine Good Lynch lay on top of the picture pile. 

My favorite picture in the group is one of my two great grand aunts, Ormena Lynch Pendergraft and Laura Jane Lynch Wetsel taken in 1934. I’ve researched those two ladies for a very long time. I can’t tell you how rewarding it was to see their faces finally, and to see them standing together side by side – amazing!

I am very humble at Dee’s generosity. I don’t think I can ever repay her for this gift. I wanted to say publicly what I have already said privately – thank you, thank you, thank you. 

Until Next Time – Happy Ancestral Digging!

© 18  August 2008, Desktop Genealogist Unplugged, Teresa L. Snyder 

No comments:


Terry

Terry

Labels