Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Playing Genealogical Catch Up (not Catsup)!

We’re friends, right? And friends forgive friends for little transgressions, right? So, I’m hoping you will understand and forgive me when I tell you I have fallen sadly behind in letting you know about some IMPORTANT things, like carnival postings. While I’m about to rectify this, I have to be honest and tell you, unless my life slows down a little bit, this probably won’t be the last time I am tardy on giving you the scoop on things.

Back a couple of weeks ago, the Carnival of Genealogy posted its 49th edition and the subject was swimsuits. You’ll have to check out some of the interesting posts on this. Jasia, as usual, was a wonderful host. Currently, she’s busy reading, Janet Evanovich’s latest book, so maybe she won’t notice what a tardy friend I’ve been. 

Jessica of "Jessica’s Genejournal" posted the 8th Edition of the Carnival of Central and Eastern European Genealogy. This is one of the Carnival’s that I would like to post to, but my knowledge of this part of my heritage is a bit sketchy. Next month’s carnival is going to be about research and techniques, which is a great topic and something that I have enough experience (and frustration) with to have something to write. In addition, I owe a debt to Jessica, because she was the first person in the genealogy blog world to “find” my blog and post about it, which makes her special in my book. Jessica is the queen at finding new genealogy and historical themed blogs, and she keeps links for every one of them on her blog-site. 

Randy Seaver had an interesting post (well, of course they all are) that talked about one stop searching of Rootsweb’s Archived Mailing List. If you are heavy into Internet Genealogy but have not yet found this cool way to search, you definitely will want to check it out. Okay, this one is OLD, but interesting for a number of reasons. 

Dick Eastman wrote a post called “I have a Complaint Concerning Many Genealogists” back in May about individuals responding negativelyh to fee based websites. Apparently, he’d had a long day and just one too many complaints and wrote a personal essay on the subject. Wow, did he get a response. He then wrote a follow-up which was just as interesting. You have to read not only his essays but also the comments they elicited. 

Terry Thornton of “Hill Country of Monroe County” put together a post entitled “Roundup of blog titles: Poem lines worth reading,” which featured a variety of interesting titles of various blogs during that week. Terry never fails to delight with his unique way of looking at things, which is why you can’t afford to forgo reading his blog. 

Becky Wiseman of “Kinexxions” wrote a post about another Genea-blogger, Miriam Robbins Midkiff being featured on a post at Inside Google Book Search – Go Miriam and thanks Becky for pointing this out! 

And last, but definitely not least, FM has posted the latest edition of “Smile for the Camera” posted at her Shades of the Departed blog. The subject was Belles and Beaus and featured posts about special pictures of weddings, courting or just plain love. It didn’t take me long to go through all of the posts – and the subject is one that is sure to please. 

There is one post where the link is not working. Craig Manson of "GeneaBlogie" has moved his blog-site and so you will need to click on this link, to see his post of a nineteen-year-old beauty, entitled A St. Louis Belle

Next month’s topic for the Smile for the Camera Carnival instructs us to “Choose a photograph of an ancestor, relative, yourself, or an orphan photograph that shows a celebration of home. “

All of you reading this that have your own News-Messenger account can create your own blog, and submit a post for the next carnival. If you have always wanted to something like this, submitting to the Smile for the Camera Carnival might be a great way to start. Footnote Maven is a gracious hostess who will treat your offerings with gentle respect. While you are at the Shades of the Departed blog-site, check out all the interesting posts. Shades is more like a cross between a blog and an e-zine, with a variety of guest contributors (you have to read Jasia’s “Digital Scrapbooking for Genealogists”) and FM’s post “I Think She’s Dead!” along with the follow up post “I Still Think She’s Dead – And Here’s Why.” 

Okay, now that I've give you a great reading list, I have just one question.. Am I forgiven? 

UPDATE! Bill West of "West of New England" is hosting the 50th Edition (Whoo Hoo!) of the Carnival of Genealogy. The subject is family pets. I haven't had a chance to read it myself, but you know it will be an interesting read. Thanks Bill for being such a good host!

© 18 June 2008, Desktop Genealogist Unplugged, Teresa L. Snyder 


No comments:


Terry

Terry

Labels